Polka dots might not be classed as any kind of hot trend right now however I've always loved the quirky and playful feel of those cute little spots. I wouldn't go crazy with the pattern all over but one cute little piece as part of your outfit can definitely contribute to a winning combination...
My Op Shop discovery last week - only $3
TV Host, model and influential style icon Alexa Chung adds polka dots to her quirky ensemble..
We are excited to announce that the Revised and Updated pH Miracle book will be released on July 2, 2010.
You can preorder now and as our gift to you, you are invited to attend a FREE webinar with Dr. Robert O. Young, the foremost nutritional microbiologist in the world today!
All you need to do is purchase the newly Revised and Updated pH Miracle book at Amazon.com, selling for $11.55—a substantial savings over bookstore prices—then visit www.phmiracleliving.com/t-booklaunch2010.aspx to submit your information. That's it. Then we'll send you the link to the upcoming video webinar.
The new book is already one of the Top 20 Best Sellers at Amazon.com and moving up quickly. . .and you can help Dr. Young and Shelley drive this book straight to the top of the Best Seller list.
This is the fastest way to help the whole world begin to investigate and understand the health benefits of pH alkaline health and nutrition, as well as the life-work of Dr. Robert O. Young and Shelley Redford Young.
So, never count calories, fat grams, or food portions again! Say good-bye to low energy, poor digestion, extra pounds, aches and pains, and disease. Say hello to renewed vigor, mental clarity, better overall health, and a lean, trim body. The key? Your health depends on the pH balance of its blood; striking the right 80/20 balance between alkaline and acidic foods creates the optimum environment. Now this innovative, proven diet program works more effectively than ever with your body chemistry to help revitalize and maintain your health. This new edition includes the latest information on living the pH lifestyle:
* New ways to cleanse and detox the system to improve your body's digestion and metabolism; * The latest advice on ridding your body of harmful bacteria, yeast, and molds; * New details on alkaline foods—tomatoes, avocados, and green vegetables-and how to mix them with mildly acidic foods like fish, grains, and certain fruits to create tempting and delicious meals; * Adding the right types of water and salt to your diet—and the major difference they can make in your health; * More than 35 delicious new recipes.
pH Miracle Living Center 16390 Dia Del Sol Valley Center, California 92082 US
Cute and comfortable, this classic shoe style is most commonly recognized for it's single-buckle strap across the in step or around the ankle. It transitions in and out of fashion often however will always remain a classic. A favourite among stylish celebrities such as Alexa Chung, Rachel Bilson & Nicole Richie, I've been on the lookout for a pair for a while now however haven't found anything just quite right yet...
At the moment we're seeing it in even more versions than ever before from flats, to chunky heels and platform stilettos. I'm loving how chic they can look through Winter with opaque stockings and then on their own as a cute Summer alternative..
Not quite within my financial reach... Miu Miu black floral satin mary-jane flats US$360 www.bluefly.com
No, I don't have beauty products growing in my garden... I'm working on my beauty feature for the July Issue of Mylookbook.
Next month I'm covering "The Art Of Bathing" and have not only had a wonderful time testing a whole bunch of gorgeous products (to make sure they are worthy of telling you all about) today I'm pottering around the garden photographing them for the magazine..
The stunning Nicole Richie looking absolutely divine in this weeks Grazia Magazine. If your anything like me and line your walls with images to inspire, it's well worth picking up this weeks issue simply for these 2 photos.... Not to mention I'm already wanting the animal print Wheels & Dollbaby cardigan and blush coloured blouse by Bardot.... Simply stunning...
How many more medical lies have to be perpetuated before we stand up for the truth? How many more people need to be poisoned with antibiotics, vaccinations and other cancer causing pharmaceuticals until we stand up and say "Enough!"? How many more children’s lives need to be destroyed before we take a stand? Please help save a life by passing this information on…
• Harvard University and National Cancer Research Journals now confirm that ONE Aspirin or Tylenol each day will cause up to an 80% increased risk of Cancer and Heart Disease. A Prospective Study of Aspirin Use and the Risk of Pancreatic Cancer in Women, Eva S. Schernhammer, Jae-Hee Kang, Andrew T. Chan, Dominique S. Michaud, Halcyon G. Skinner, Edward Giovannucci, Graham A. Colditz, Charles S. Fuchs, Affiliations of authors: Channing Laboratory, Department of Medicine, Brigham and Women's Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA (ESS, JHK, ATC, HGS, EG, GAC CSF); Ludwig Boltzmann-Institute for Applied Cancer Research, KFJ-Spital, Vienna, Austria (ESS); Gastrointestinal Unit, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston (ATC); Nutritional Epidemiology Branch, National Cancer Institute, Rockville, MD (DSM); Departments of Nutrition (EG) and Epidemiology (HGS, GAC), Harvard School of Public Health, Boston; Harvard Center for Cancer Prevention, Boston (GAC); Epidemiology Program (GAC) and Department of Adult Oncology (CSF), Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, Boston. Correspondence to: Eva S. Schernhammer, MD, DrPH, Channing Laboratory, 181 Longwood Ave., Boston, MA 02115 (e-mail: email@example.com
• Take ONE 50 mg. pill of Vioxx for 5 days? A study undertaken two years ago showed that this increases the chances of getting coronary artery disease by 70%. Lancet Oct 5, 2002
• A University of Washington study found that if you filled 25 or more prescriptions for antibiotics over 17 years, you double your risk of cancer (TIME, Dec. 6, 2004) This equates into taking less than ONE antibiotic each year, an activity in which almost every American participates.
• Infants exposed to ONE single round of antibiotics during their first years of life are twice as likely to develop asthma as those who don’t. The more courses of antibiotics, the worse the immunity and the greater the risk of asthma. (Newsday, March 6, 2006)
• Take ONE Benadryl for your allergies, and here are your possible side-effects: Difficulty breathing, closing of your throat, swelling of your lips, tongue, or face, hives, sleepiness, fatigue, dizziness, headache, dry mouth, difficulty urinating, enlarged prostate and a dramatic reduction in energy.
• Take ONE aspirin per day? Daily aspirin intake shows a significantly increased risk of pancreatic cancer among women. This cancer is fatal 90% of the time. Source: American Association for Cancer Research, October 27, 2003
• Take just ONE Crestor pill/day to lower your cholesterol? This drug has been shown to cause 75 times the level of kidney damage than other statin drugs. Public Citizen Oct 29, 2004
• ONE vaccination can leave your child with brain damage or worse a form of Autism: Children are 27 times more likely to develop autism when exposed to vaccines containing mercury: Lori McIlwain, National Autism Association, (919) 272-8192/ Studies suggest that there is a link between neuro-developmental disorders, such as autism, and mercury exposure from thimerosal-containing childhood vaccines. Centers for Disease Control, Jan. 16, 2004.
• Taking just ONE pain killer can cause death. There are over 16,500 deaths from NSAIDs (Pain Killers) each year in the hospitals alone. JAMA July 26, 2000 Vol. 284. Just as many die from AIDS each year!
• Thinking of taking a cough suppressant or giving to your child just ONE time: cough suppressant is linked to Birth Defects: Dextromethorphan, the major ingredient in most OTC cough medicines, has been shown to cause birth defects. Source: Pediatric Research January 1998:43:1-7
• Taking cold medications like Robitussin, Triaminic, PediaCare, Comtrex, etc. just ONE time can cause stroke, brain bleeding, and seizures. This year the F.D.A. completely banned these cold medications for adults and children, especially under the age of 6.
• L. A. Times states: Antibiotics aren’t the answer to treating sinus infections: “The widespread use of standard antibiotics to treat sinus infections does not help cure patients and taking just ONE round may harm them by increasing their resistance to the drugs.
Below is more truth is it applies to some of the most commonly ingested pharmaceuticals in the world
1. Acetaminophen (Tylenol) use is the number-one reason for acute liver failure in the United States. It is also responsible for 8 percent to 10 percent of the end-stage renal disease in the U.S. The New England Journal of Medicine December 20, 2001; 345:1801-1808. Hepatology Volume 40, Issue 1, Pages 6 – 9. Published Online: 30 Jun 2004, American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases.
2. In 2004, the American Academy of Pediatricians reversed its guidelines, pointing out that in more than 80 percent of the children with ear infections, symptoms would subside on their own, without the need for antibiotics.
3. DO NOT take antibiotics or any of the above drugs without the facts!
4. The flu shot and childhood vaccines can be deadly. We have been told to get flu shots that contain mercury, formaldehyde, aluminum and many other dangerous chemicals! Now according to the Vaccine Journal, they said, “flu vaccines offer no protection and have never saved any lives.”
*Mercury!!! 2nd most dangerous substance on earth. Destroys the nervous system and immune system. Associated with Multiple Sclerosis, Central Nervous System Disorders, Autism and Alzheimer's Disease!
*Ethylene glycol (antifreeze) Exposure to ethylene glycol can damage the kidneys, heart, and nervous system.
*Phenol (disinfectant) Exposure to phenol can produce skin burns, liver damage, dark urine, irregular heartbeat, and even death.*Formaldehyde (known cancer causing agent)
*Neomycin and Streptomycin (antibiotics)
*Aluminum associated with Alzheimer's disease and seizures and also cancer producing in laboratory mice. Is this something you want to inject directly into your blood or your children’s?
5. The flu vaccine is manufactured to fight the flu from 2 years previous, so it is IMPOSSIBLE for this year’s flu vaccine to protect you against this year’s exact strain of circulating flu virus!
6. According to Hugh Fudenburg, MD, one of the world’s premier immunogeneticists, the chance of getting Alzheimer’s is ten times higher if an individual has had 5 consecutive flu shots(this is due to the Mercury). Dr. Fudenburg is the 13th most quoted biologist in the world today.
“Our drugs don’t work.” Dr. Allen Roses, worldwide vice-president of Genetics at GlaxoSmithKline (GSK), Britain’s giant pharmaceutical company, acknowledged at a scientific meeting in London that fewer than half of the patients prescribed some of the most expensive drugs actually derived any benefit from them.
Before you think, has she lost her marbles, there was a long process leading up to this purchase. It all began with Sienna Miller in around July 2009. She was photographed in an animal print 'peg' style cut. It was then that my curiosity waspiqued.
As I started to spot similar pants being featured on international street style blogs and in various magazines, the style became part of that shopping wish list that sits inconspicuouslyin the back of my mind. My mind also has a sub-conscious radar that keeps a subtle eye out when shopping and then one day will let off an alert to the sound of 'oh my god I've been wanting these for ages!" Then I have to make that crucial decision to buy or not to buy, usually after what could have been quite a long wait, AND this seems to always happen when I have no money.
When I first saw this pair it was instant excitement, then came the re-assessing. 'Do I REALLY need them, will I REALLY wear them, if I don't get them I'll be thinking about them constantly, and when I finally go back they'll be all sold out". I actually have this argument with myself when shopping ALL the time.
Finally I made the decision to buy them and there is no shopping remorse at all. I know a purchase from Sportsgirl isn't a huge financial investment but hey, times are tough right now and when the budget is tight, you have to shop wisely.
My shopping justification for my animal print harem pants are: They'll look great through winter with a denim jacket and ankle boots (they're light weight but I can just wear tights under them) and then they'll merge straight into summer with a singlet and strappy sandals. That's at least 2 season's wear already! The initial inspiration...
Sienna & her animal print tapered in pants...
Loved these but they were never in my budget. Temperley London Leopard-print harem pants £334.78
As a little change from the usual fashion, celebrity and trend posts, I thought it would be nice to share a couple of the new beauty products I've recently discovered & now completely adore, as well as some old faithful and long term loves..
The TOP 5 products I use every day.... 1. L'Occitane Immortelle Divine Cream RRP $139.95 So at 35 my skin these days is definitely in need of extra hydration. Apparently fibroblasts (the key cell which produces collagen and elastin) starts to become less active at the age of 35, lucky me. Oh and the good fortune continues (excuse my sarcasm) but I've also now realised that I was terribly misguided in thinking that when wrinkles moved in for their permanent stay, that pimples would move out. Oh how wrong I was..... So with my skin refusing to co-operate even more so now than in my teens, I've become quite cautious when trying out new skincare products.
There are gazillions of skin care products promising miraculous results, anti-aging, luminous skin, blah blah blah... it all get's ridiculously overwhelming. My skin is really sensitive too which makes me even more wary when trying anything new, especially something rich and scented. The Divine cream is rich, AND has a beautiful fruity scent (which I love) however before actually putting it on my skin, I did feel a little little worried. All of that apprehension was packed up & thrown out the door within about 30 seconds of using the cream...TheDivine creamabsorbs quickly however leaves your skin feeling SO smooth and soft. The scent is just heavenly, and after just over a month of using it, I still keep touching my face after I've just put it on as it feels so soft and smooth. At first I thought it would be better as a night cream but now I'm also using it in the morning as it creates a super smooth base for your makeup. Love love love it and I'm happy to recommend it as my number #1 beauty investment right now... Definitely worth saving your pennies for...
2. Moroccanoil® Intense Curl Cream I've been using this baby for a few weeks now and had been eager to try it after reading so many celebrity & beauty editor endorsements. I'm now happy to report that all of their enthusiasm is justified. My hair is quite thin, wispy and completely uncooperative. I have long hair but have it pulled back in a bun 99% of the time as it always looks fluffy and a little crazy when I leave it out. Now after washing my hair I just spread a small amount of the Moroccanoil Intense Curl Creamthrough my hair while damp. I then scrunch the ends and walk away (the key is also not to keep touching your hair as it's drying - NO TOUCHING!). My hair has never looked so smooth and healthy. I'm also now leaving it out most days too!
3. Cetaphil Ok, so my usual cleanser is the Dermalogica Clay Cleanser which I LOVE & swear by, however when the budget is tight, and it is right now, Cetaphil is my stand in cleanser. It's gentle, removes all your makeup easily, and is great for sensitive skin.
4. Dermalogica Daily Microfoliant I've tried a few different exfolient cleansers but have never found anything better than Dermalogica's Microfoliant. The powder gives your face a gentle scrub, foams up so it feels like it's getting a good clean and leaves your face feeling super smooth. This has been a essential part of my beauty routine for over 10 years now.
5. Dove Body Wash There's no one particular Dove body wash product I stick to, I try a different one every time I purchase it. I'm a fan of the exfoliating body wash but I'm also loving the 'Energize' grapefruit & lemongrass fragrance I purchased this week as it was on sale for $3.49. It's lovely and moisturizing too, perfect for this harsh drying winter weather..
Wearing stockings and socks with peep toe shoes is definitely no longer a fashion faux pas. Everyone seems to be embracing the look for winter and if combined correctly I have to admit it’s a refreshing alternative to boots. In my opinion I think it's best to stick with opaque tights if your going to give the look a go, I'm personally not overly enthusiastic about seeing toes through stockings...
I've never really been a fan of apricot. I think I still have some nasty childhood memories of hideous apricot coloured walls and apricot coloured lipstick from the 80's. I certainly didn't expect to be excited over seeing a few apricot coloured jackets popping up on stylish celebrities & street style blogs this past few weeks.
I'm loving the jackets below but I'm thinking we can take it all the way to shoes and dresses for summer... Apricot coloured lipstick? Maybe not quite yet but you just never know...
Is it just me or has anyone else noticed that Jessica Alba is becoming increasingly more edgy in her fashion choices? I mean the girl always looked good, however 2 years ago I would never have stalked her for outfit ideas in the same way I would with Sienna Miller, Rachel Bilson or Nicole Richie.
She's now a regular on my daily check list and on this Monday morning of celebrity style stalking, I've stumbled across one particular little winner featuring one of my favourite outfit combination's right now..... all items get a big tick from me...
I received news last night that I've been nominated in the Entrepreneurial Category for the 2010 Cosmopolitan Fun Fearless Female Awards! This really is such a truly flattering, unexpected and exciting thing to happen to me!
Having read Cosmopolitan magazine for the last 20 years (I really sound old now), it's not only that I've been chosen by Cosmo as worthy of a place in their top 10 entrepreneurs, but to be placed among so many inspirational Australian women....WOW!
There are 11 categories all up with 10 women nominated in each. The public has been asked to vote for their favourites in each section and then 3 women in each group will proceed to the final.
There are plenty of celebrities to look to for fashion inspiration these days, and although I do admire their particular looks, I don't think I'd feel comfortable wearing many of their exact ensembles myself.
When it comes to Ms Minogue however, it could be any number of contributing factors that I can personally relate to... her age, her height (she's actually 5'1" and so am I), she's Australian...
So ok.... it perhaps stops there. None the less, I do look at many of her casual outfits (I'll be specific here as I definitely wouldn't feel comfortable in any of her stage ensembles) however on a daily basis, I think yes, I'd be more than happy to wear that EXACT thing myself today.
Outfits I would most certainly wear from head to toe...
I LOVE this black shirt/jacket she has on it the 2 images above - if anyone knows what it is or where to find something similar please let me know!!! Images: Zimbio