A different kind of inspiration: A Memoir of Mistakes, Magazines & Motherhood By Mia Freedman

Ok, so this post isn’t about frocks or celebrity fashion directly, however it does connect in a roundabout way, being on the subject of former Cosmo editor Mia Freedman and her book “A Memoir of Mistakes, Magazines and Motherhood” in which I’ve just had the pleasure of reading.

As far as inspiration goes (in which I regularly post about on the fashion front), when it comes to career and personal inspiration, Mia has for a long time been at the top of my list.

Mia became editor of Cosmopolitan at age 24 in 1996. I was 22 then and Cosmo was my fashion & entertainment Bible. Being a young mum with 2 daughters (under the age of 2), my magazines were a brief escape into another reality in the rare moments I would get to myself.

Mia mentions in her book her own obsession with magazines & early ambition to one day work for the magazines she loved. I had similar goals however at 22, living 5 hours away from any major city, with 2 babies and a husband pursuing his own career as a Professional Bodyboarder, any kind of magazine career was simply not an option. Instead I used spare time to teach myself graphic design, write, dabble in designing clothes & fantasise about an eventual career mixing some or all of these hobbies.

With out sounding too “stalkerish”, I followed Mia’s “magazine” life over the years with interest and admiration, reading her first book ‘The New Black’ while travelling around Australia with my husband and kids in a caravan. Between my stash of Sex & The City DVD’s and Mia’s first book, I had an occasional short escape, knowing in my heart that I would eventually pursue my own ambition, I was totally content for the time being.

Fast forward to 2009 and the release of “A Memoir of Mistakes, Magazines and Motherhood” in which Mia openly discusses the un-glamorous side of her life over the past 20 years, I am once again in awe of this talented lady, but for many different reasons than in the past.

My daughters are now teenagers (just) and my career involves everything I once imagined. I now have much more time for myself, but it’s still a never ending juggling act. Mia’s new book detailing her own experience of balancing motherhood, career, & relationship’s has me once again feeling encouraged & inspired, reminding me that no matter what path we take in life, we’re all riding the roller coaster that life takes us on a daily basis, and nobody no matter how glamorous on the outside has it perfect all the time.

In her memoir, Mia shares some very personal experiences and amazing accomplishments, happiest moments and deep insecurities. In a world where we are so bombarded by “The Celebrity” and the appearance of their perfect lives, perfect wardrobes and perfect careers, it’s such a refreshing gift to be given a glimpse into such an remarkable Australian women, and the fascinating yet honest story of her life so far.

I really admire Mia for being the role model she is to so many, while at the same time being able to share her own insecurities and chaotic reality, making you feel re-assured that your own life needn’t be perfect to be wonderful and fulfilled.

I could keep going on and on about Mia & her new book, instead I’ll cut it short and just say that in my opinion it’s a MUST to read. I will be keeping mine close & purchasing more as gifts for friends that I know will appreciate Mia's story as well.


A Memoir of Mistakes, Magazines & Motherhood $27.99 Harper Collins

Click Here to visit Mia's Personal Website