Trend spotting: NEON


I’ve already lived through the fluro/neon trend once and during that time it was HUGE.

It was around 1984 and I was 10. I think it made such a huge imprint in my memory because as far as fashion trends go, it was the first time I was ever really aware of one. I remember realising there was a general theme going on around me with what lots of people were ALL wearing, it was also the first time I felt a longing to be just like them.

I feel like having already lived through an era where I idolized style icons like Madonna who rocked fluro in such perfection for the very first time, how could you beat that? If you feel a little the same way as me, you too would never be able to forget George Michael from Wham releasing "Wake Me Up Before You Go Go!" and from that moment forward needing to own a pair of fluro socks in every single colour.

So there you have it. I'm having mixed feelings on the neon or fluro trend coming back again and how it can or should be worn. That's why I decided to ask a few fashion industry insiders to see what their thoughts were…


Lesley Scott
I like how bright, cheery and somewhat non-serious it is - I LOVED that bright orange "hospital scrubs" sheath dress that Miuccia Prada opened her Spring '11 show with - she was also careful to balance the in-your-face "orangeness" of it by keeping the shape streamlined and not going nuts with the accessories. I recommend treating neon hues like animal prints: they make such a statement already, that if you're not careful to keep the rest of your outfit somewhat toned down, you risk looking like a bright yellow NYC taxicab on two legs.

For neon separates, you can always pair them with black which is kind of obvious; more sophisticated, I think, is to try a neutral like deep khaki, stone, or rich beige; think a neon-bright blouse with an elegant, Jackie O'ish cigarette trouser in a neutral shade. Also, a great way to add some punch & interest to any outfit is with bold neon cuff bracelets or fun earrings - like the Prada banana dangly ones.


Genevieve Err
Designer - This Is Genevieve
Around 5 years ago there was this burst of colour, graphic bold yardage prints and every music festival seemed awash with revellers who also seemed to love it as much as me. It was called ‘fluro’.
I embraced it fully, my collection consisted of a ‘digital circuit board print’ which sat alongside my ‘hexagon diagonal’ print, about 6 months later my eyes hurt. I was ready to say goodbye to fluro and could only embrace using the colour pens. But people were still loving it. It was in stores for another 2 years, by the time it finally left I was so in love with black, grey and denim that the thought of a colour revival would have had me laughing at the suggestion. After going through summer, winter, summer again in my basics, I had to admit going ‘back to black’ was getting boring. That’s when I was introduced to ‘neon’ at my nail salon. Neon crept up on me as it didn’t consume my wardrobe it blended with my staples. A little lipstick here and some neon nails there, then out popped Kate Bosworth in that Proenza Schouler dress and who wasn’t in love. Cool, fun and more sophisticated than its cousin ‘fluro’. It feels great to have colour back in my wardrobe I had been missing it.

Celeste Mitchell
I have to say I'm not the hugest fan of fluro and I can probably blame it on too many festivals, and the sea of neon that seems to flock to them. That being said, I think slight touches can still look hot. Like a neon lace bra peeking out from under a black tank or dress, or a bright pedicure.

Jessy Cameron
Blogger
"I opt for splashes of neon colour paired back with neutral tones. I recently splashed out on a brighter-than-bright tangerine hued tee from Acne, it's amazing"