Pre-RAFW 2011 Interview with Nikita Sernack of Nookie


Image above and left from Nookie Winter 2011 Collection

Years ago when I first launched my online boutique www.australianflavour.com.au (now owned and run by the lovely Sarah Dines), one of the labels I was most excited to see every season was Nookie.

31 year old designer Nikita Sernack is not only one of the nicest girls in the business, she has a talent for creating the most beautiful yet wearable collections every single season.


A Fashion Week show I always look forward to, I was able to have a quick chat with Nikita in the lead up to her showing her sub label 'Nookie Beach' at this years Rosemount Australian Fashion Week (RAFW).

When did you launch Nookie?
The first season went into store for Summer 2004.

How many times have you showed at RAFW now?
This will be the 4th onsite show, the debut for the Nookie Beach line.

How long before RAFW do you start preparing for the actual show?
We start the planning/budgeting/sponsorship side of things fairly early. We always look to maximise the event in terms of collaborations and sponsors and really spend a lot of ‘think tank’ time pushing the boundaries to evolve the concept behind the show and the collection. Then there is a very intensive month long lead up to the show where we are very focused on the range and the details of the show.

Nookie has always been one of my favourite labels as your designs are always such a clever combination of being so beautifully feminine with just the right amount of subtle sexiness. Everything is also on trend yet classic enough to wear season after season, does Nookie reflect your own personal style?
Oh my gosh Krista, that is so sweet thank you! Yes Nookie is definitely an extension of myself and my journey through life. I really design from the heart and the collections are ultimately a representation of what I love in terms of essence and style. I am the ultimate Nookie shopper! I am trying to train myself not to need one of everything in every colourway!

It seems your from quite a creative family with your sister Zoe being behind the jewellery label zoemou.  Is there anyone else in your family that is in the creative industry and how has your family influenced you in doing what you do now?
I love collaborating with my sister, the jewelry she has created for this upcoming show is amazing! My whole family is very creative and that has always been a huge influence. Both my father and mother are quite incredible and passionate behind the camera lens, my brother is super creative and also lends his good looks and bod to the odd nookie show or lookbook which is very handy! My grandfather Max actually used to be in the rag trade himself....so it has gone full circle with me.

What is the most stressful part in the preparation for RAFW?
The thing with Fashion Week is everything is smooth sailing and then, BANG, there is like a week to go, you are getting 400 emails a day, there’s castings, fittings, meetings and you have 4 million things to cross of this list....and it is crazy stressful but very adrenalin filled fun at the same time! I think this phenomenon has something to do with the fact that Easter/Anzac Day is always right before Fashion Week in Australia....

Can you describe the collection we’ll be seeing next week? What is the influence and inspiration behind it?
For this years RAFW we are showing the Nookie Beach label. The Nookie Beach Spring Summer 2011/12 is a very effortless and earthy collection representing the ultimate beach girl with a future earth warrior edge. The collection is about creating a synergy between design, fashion with all things natural - nurturing the connection between people and the natural planet and communicating that with new silhouettes and a sense of empowerment. There is a simplistic and minimal ease to the collection emphasising the elements of raw, beach beauty. I am really excited, I think the runway is going to be amazing and I can’t wait to experience all the elements we have going on together.

Do you have any major plans for Nookie & Nookie Beach in the future or are you happy where it is in the Australian fashion market right now?
There are many a plan in action! We are always working on growing Nookie and communicating who the brand is to the national and international market. I am really excited for the launch of the Nookie online store and exploring the world of retail...watch this space!

Finally, what will you be doing once the craziness of RAFW is over to relax?
I am so excited to have a cocktail at the afterparty!! I am seriously counting down the minutes till the tip of that martini glass haha! There may be a little getaway with my boyfriend to Thailand too a little later in May which will surely soothe the stress of RAFW ;)

Below: Nookie Transeasonal 2011


Nookie is also available to purchase online at: